Text, tweet, Facebook, repeat. We all know how addicting technology can be, especially mobile technology. Take a look at the smartphone – the 21st century’s ‘man’s best friend’. Not only do we want to be digitally connected through our smartphones, we NEED to be. We are constantly using our smartphones throughout the day, whether it’s to check the time (who needs a watch anymore?), reply to a text message, or Instagram lunchtime updates of our tuna salad. We have all felt that instant moment of panic when we pat our pants pockets and our phone isn’t there. We can even perform any smartphone function, blindfolded, behind our backs with 99.9% accuracy.
Today we live in a world where “is there an app for that?” has become the common phrase. Mobile is quickly becoming the new face of communication, as more and more consumers are becoming mobile subscribers daily. Take a look at these 8 surprising statistics that will blow your mind:
- By the end of the year, the number of mobile-connected devices is expected to surpass the world’s population (Source: Cisco)
- Every day, 6.4B text messages are sent in the U.S. (Source: Mogreet)
- It takes 90 minutes for the average person to respond to an email. It takes 90 seconds for the average person to respond to a text message (Source: CTIA)
- Mobile phone users look at their phone an incredible average of 150x per day. That’s roughly every 7 minutes during waking hours (Source: Mogreet)
- There are almost 7B people on the planet. 5.1B of them own a cell phone. Only 4.2B own a toothbrush (Source: Direct Marketing Association)
- 91% of all U.S. citizens have their mobile device within arms reach 24/7 (Source: Morgan Stanley)
- 92% of smartphone users utilize text messaging (Source: Acision)
- 98% of all MMS and SMS messages are opened (Source: Mogreet)
So, what does this mean? It is clear that the world has quickly become mobile-obsessed – not only do we use our phones to communicate; we do business on our phones, shop on our phones, and can even start our cars using our mobile devices. Our entire lives are stored within the means of our pocket-sized companions. So if we know many mobile addicts there are out there, why are some businesses not taking advantage and hopping on the mobile train? These businesses are missing out on a huge opportunity. Mobile response and success rates are consistently higher than any other marketing method and in terms of immediate response, no other marketing method compares. Mobile marketing yields speedy, quality conversions, a captive audience, and, most importantly – action.
What other marketing channel can connect you, in real time, to anyone, anywhere in the world? What steps has your company taken to embrace mobile messaging?